Hey #WeDoCrew! This blog post was written just for you. Here you’ll find the essentials on getting your marriage license for your wedding in Charleston.
Photo by Alex Thornton Photography
How to (legally) get married in Charleston!
- Wait until 30 days away from your wedding date…
- Apply online at this address. You’ll need $70.00 (plus a transaction fee) by credit card for the application fee. Be sure to include BOTH of your emails!
- Wait 1 – 3 business days for an email containing a copy of your application and an affidavit from the county clerk (this means you cannot apply for your license the day before the wedding!)
- Make sure all information on your application has been copied correctly (contact the clerk if anything is wrong), and sign and list your social security number on the corresponding lines in blue ink on the application and the affidavit, then immediately submit via email along with a copy of your photo identification to the clerk by 2PM. The license will not be released until the signed application, affidavit and IDs are received via email. If you need to mail it, call the clerk’s office to let them know/ask if you can, and it will go to this address: 100 Broad Street, Suite 469, Charleston, SC 29401 (or the drop box is available at their office door from 8:30am to 5:00pm).
- Get married, then sign the licenses (3 copies!) along with your officiant.
- Give two of the licenses to the officiant, us, or a trusted family member to mail in to the Probate Judge and DHEC (they will say PROBATE JUDGE or PROBATE JUDGE/DHEC COPY at the bottom. You’ll keep the third copy for taking to the social security office for name changes later!).